Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Award Winning Chili - YUM!




It's raining today. It's cooled off. It's a good chili day. My chili is awesome. I don't say that loosely either, it has actually won an award! My chili was voted the sweetest chili in the 2007 Park District Chili Cook-off.
So here is my "recipe" and method of making chili...

Start with 3-4 pounds of ground meat. This time I used 2 pounds of ground beef and 1 pound of ground turkey. Brown the meat in a big pot... like a 5 quart size. You can add salt, pepper, garlic and/or onions to the meat as it is cooking. Drain the fat off when it is finished browning.

Next add a large can of crushed tomatoes, 2 cans of diced tomatoes (or use fresh if you're so inclined), a can of Ranch Style Beans, and a can of black beans.


Stir all of this in over medium-low heat.


When it is thoroughly combined you can add the spices:
garlic powder, ground cumin, chili powder, & ground cayenne pepper.


Stir them in...


Now its time for the sweet... brown sugar!


Stir it all together...


And add salt, pepper, & more spice when needed....just to suit your taste.


Continue heating over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.


Until it is hot & thick.


Serve with crackers and cornbread!

Here is the pretty picture:


Here is the southern method with cornbread:


Enjoy!

6 comments:

Jaclyn and Devan Swallom said...

I concur- yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My heart to my head said...

Thats sounds GREAT! I am going to make some TONIGHT! It has cooled off here too we are in the lower to mid 80's all week! It feels cooler than it sounds. One question..where are the green beans??

Sarah said...

Green Beans???

Nick Burton said...

Love the illustrated tutorial! So is "sweetest" in the sufer dude sense of the word? Like "dude, your chili is like, totally sweet!" Or is it like, actually sweet tasting, like sugar is sweet? Because I like mine spicy.

Nick Burton said...

...and, yeah, where are the green beans?

Sarah said...

Sweet as in sugar is sweet, but don't underestimate the "bite" at the end... I do add plenty of cayenne! Green Beans???