Thursday, September 11, 2008

A little bit Country....

So yesterday I embraced my country life and got my own grass mowed. And in the spirit of "momhood" I did it with the baby in the sling and the preschooler on my knee. I'm sure we made quite a sight to see, with #4 just trying to sleep peacefully in the sling and #3 singing her heart out as we zipped around on the John Deere. The yard looks so nice after it's mowed...I love it. By the time we finished the older two were getting off the bus. So #2 and I (after he had his required afterschool snack) went out behind the barn (really the garage, but I am sure at one time served as a barn of some sort) and started cleaning out for CHICKENS! I can't wait to get some! We are gonna have fresh eggs, and if I can muster up enough courage to do it, we will do meat chickens too. We have been doing some research, a lot of research, so I think we are ready. I am just anxious to get started. I think we have most of what we need to build the fence for the chicken yard. And I know we can get the materials needed for the coop for free, at least most of it. We plan on building out of "retired" barn wood from my grandmothers barn. We would still have to purchase some things, but the bulk of what would be most costly isn't gonna cost us anything. I would eventually like to maybe have some rabbits too and take this country living thing to a new level.

2 comments:

Nick Burton said...

Chickens! Cool!!! That'll be an adventure for sure. It will be great experience for the kids especially. And don't worry, I'm sure you'll have no problem butchering them. It's in you blood. (OUR blood, I should say!) Get in touch with your inner-farmer!

Jaclyn and Devan Swallom said...

We used to have chickens! and ducks... and rabbits...and etc. You guys will have a fantastic time!