Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Baking Job

Today was the farmers market & the weather was gorgeous . I got all my baking done last night and was in bed by like 11:30. It wasn't 10:30 like I really wanted it to be, but then again, it wasn't 2:30 either... I got 18 pies done, I would have done a few more, but I have been just buying my pie tins from Wally World (I know... the evil empire...and WAY too expensive, but convenient), and they were OUT of pie tins. So I went to the local grocery to buy and they only had a few (for almost twice the price of the evil empire, I might add), so I got what they had and that left me with only 18 pie tins to utilize. I need to order some from a supply company...WAY cheaper. SO anyway.... I got my 18 pies done, along with banana bread, banana nut bread, apple dumplings, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin bread, muffins, coffee cakes, & scones. #4 didn't cooperate at first, but then in the evening slept for like 5 hours straight!! Of course then he didn't want to sleep when I finally got to go to bed, but we made it through. We sold all but a plate of cookies, some scones, and some dumplings, and we traded away the cookies to a fellow vendor for some salad tomatoes, which were eaten by #1 before we made it home. Its a bit of a boost to the family income. Now if we could find about 5-6 more "jobs" like that then we would be set with out working for someone else. The problem with the market is that it only runs from the end of May to the end of October, so thats pretty much when we can count on that income. I do get orders sporadically throughout the fall and into early winter, but my sales drop off DRAMATICALLY after Christmas. I get quite a few pie orders at Thanksgiving and a few at Christmas, but then people hit January and start setting New Years resolutions and they want to start losing weight....yada, yada, yada.... it kills sales. I should maybe look into a Valentines special for a heart cookie bouquet...or something. Send me your ideas.... or click some ads.... or both.... Also, I added a search engine to my window...look up at the top right of your screen. I ask the favor of you using it just once before you leave to generate some traffic...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I can't buy some pies from you (I would love to just because it would be a whole lot more yummy then cafeteria food) I will click some adds for you :)

Sarah said...

Thank You!!!

Leslee said...

LOL! I was going to suggest marketing V-Day stuff. How about coming up with some sugar-free stuff to promote for ny's resolutions? Splenda can be more expensive, but people will have their sweet tooths! Then there's St Patty's Day and you'll have to have have green cookies... then you could always call your friends/husbands and remind them of important events coming up that they might need a cake or something special made.

Leslee said...

um... I meant to say call your friends/customer's husbands... I'm not saying you have more then one husband....lol

Sarah said...

My problem is not product. I do offer sugar free items, most of my items can be made sugar free with the use of Splenda, but rather, people seem to forget about me... Maybe send out a mailer to my customer base...